Chair of Astronomy & Astrophysics
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics of the Torun Centre for Astronomy is located at the Astronomical Obsevatory in Piwnice, near Torun. The most significant instruments of the Observatory are: 90/60cm Schmidt - Cassegrain Telescope currently observing in a Cassegrain mode with a slit spectrograph, the 60 cm photometric telescope, Henry Draper's telescope and a semi-automatic CCD camera imaging wide sky fields (SAVS sky survey).
The main topics of research are:
- structure of the Milky Way and the interstellar matter,
- variable, peculiar and evolved stars,
- extrasollar planetary systems,
- celestial mechanics,
- circumstellar envelopes,
- planet formation,
- astrophysical magnetohydrodynamics,
- high energy astrophysics.